For Assistance Contact:
For Assistance Contact:
- Angela Lewis
- LLB, University of Victoria (1983)
- BA Simon Fraser University (1981)
- Bar Admission, British Columbia (1984)
- Professional Associations
- Firm News
A senior family and estate lawyer, Mark Slay is known for his skill in developing strategic and effective solutions. He is frequently sought out for his expertise in complex financial matters, such as corporate and trust interests.
Mark provides his clients with the information they need to make well-informed decisions. He welcomes his clients’ input and directions: giving each client an active role in shaping an outcome that is right for them. As Mark often says, “Lawyers have cases, but clients have lives”.
Mark is an experienced trial lawyer and has appeared at all levels of court in British Columbia. While he is a skilled and proven advocate at court, Mark’s goal is to obtain successful resolutions for his clients early on in the process. Where possible, he uses alternative dispute resolution to obtain successful outcomes for clients without resorting to court. Mark has been trained in both mediation and collaborative law.
Mark also advises clients who are re-partnering and wish to protect their assets. He collaborates with accountants and tax experts in the preparation of marriage and cohabitation agreements to ensure they are comprehensive and complete. Mark also works closely with the firm’s associates and paralegals to provide clients with the best possible service.
Believing that knowledge should be shared, Mark frequently presents at legal conferences and courses. For example, the Pacific Business & Law Institute has welcomed Mark as a presenter for their courses on numerous occasions.
Mark also takes an active role in the community. He has volunteered frequently over the years with various organizations, including the Silver Harbour Seniors Legal Clinic. He has served as the president of the local Bar association, sat on the executive of the Canadian Bar Association (B.C. Branch), and chaired several of its committees. Mark has been very active in amateur sport and has been the president of both his local rugby club (Capilano RFC) and the provincial organization ( BCRU) as well as having served for a number of years on the board of Rugby Canada.
For fun, Mark pursues his love of music by playing the drums in classic rock bands. He may, or may not be, a closet Elvis impersonator.
- Mark Slay & Lara Branson, An Update of: We Are Family: Family Law Issues in Estate Law, Pacific Business & Law Institute, January 30, 2020.
- Mark Slay & Lara Branson, Fooling Around or Just Fooling Yourself: Marriage-Like Relationships in British Columbia, Family Law Advocates Group (FLAG), March 27, 2019.
- Mark Slay & Lara Branson, We Are Family: Family Law Issues in Estate Law, Pacific Business & Law Institute, January 29, 2019.
- Mark Slay & Lara Branson, What’s Love got to do with it? “Gift of a Gift”, tracing, following and the meaning of “property derived from” under the Family Law Act, Pacific Business & Law Institute, October 6, 2016.
- Member, Trial Lawyers Association of BC (TLABC)
- Member, Canadian Bar Association (CBA)
- Member, Family Law Advocates Group (FLAG)